Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My response to Amos Yee. (based on his blog post)

So after reading a blog post by Amos Yee, this is my response to him.

DISCLAIMER: 
  • I am not here to cyber-bully nor push him down further with whatever he has been going through. 
  • This post is entirely my story and opinion of how I feel after reading his blog post. 
  • Do note that no one has to agree to everything stated below and it is just my RESPONSE to how I feel about this.

I am going to break it down as how Amos Yee did. (Only Part 1,2,3 and 4)





PART 1: SOCIAL LIFE

I wasn't so different, however I was near to an outcast. I was also known as the girl with "buck teeth". Girls from other classes came to create "trouble" and even had seniors coming to "talk to me". However, I didn't care about all the negativity. Why use the time to create sorrow when you can embrace happiness?

Yes, social life seemed important during our Secondary School days and I cannot argue with that. Most of us were trying our best to be "popular" and be in one of those groups that were "above others". Some days, I really felt like being a part of them but most of the time I get through it and embrace the one and only real friendship I had at that time. 

The real question is, why do you care so much about how "popular people and people in huge cliques" communicate?  

Quote by Amos Yee: "And how can you, when the most effective communication is between 2 people, and you're surrounded by so many people you barely know about other than the information presented on their Facebook profiles.", I beg to differ.

It has been about 3 to 4 years since I've graduated and I have seen those "popular groups" still hanging out happily. Maybe they weren't as real during their school days, but their experiences as a group throughout the years has molded them into one big family. So if you think effective communication is only between 2 people, you're wrong to a certain extent. Does this mean groups of friends are always fake and insincere? Think about it.

Last but not least, Secondary School days are the times where we grow up and start to mature into young adults. It's only less than half of the journey in our lives and what they do to gain popularity now doesn't matter. You have yet to see how everyone evolves and change (hoping to be better) as they grow up. 

However, I sincerely applaud you for being "alone" and standing up to your motto. I can tell everyone that it is never easy being the one alone but people like us? We have never felt happier than having insincere people around.




PART 2: TEACHERS

In your point of view, you were using your time in class cringing and weeping about how the teachers were coaching us. But honestly to me, I didn't really care. 

What I cared about was the passion and effort our teachers put on us. My class wasn't an easy group to handle but it made me see how our teachers never gave up. Dude, school isn't just about getting knowledge. It's also about life stories that make us who we are right now. 

I could always recall how our form teacher get so mad when we were being "disrespectful" and telling us how working life would be when we grew older. We were always grinning when he gave us lectures but I knew that most of us took it to heart. As much as we were being defiant, we did learn many things other than knowledge. 

I didn't just learn English, Math or Science, I learnt to understand someone's point of view who was much older as an individual. As a normal human being who goes home everyday after school wondering how we'll manage when we grow older. I learnt that being a teacher isn't just about the methods of teaching and imparting knowledge, it's also about them never giving up on us when most of us thought that our future was over.

Teachers AREN'T PERFECT. They might be teaching the wrong way, BUT with good intentions. So Amos, If you're judging teachers based on methods of teaching, there's definitely no right or wrong. 




PART 3: CCAS

I can only conclude that you haven't seen the world. There'll always be people around who you dislike and make you hate something that you were once passionate in. There's also no use in pin-pointing teachers as we all make mistakes. If you were so unhappy with your CCA, why didn't you leave?

Also, this is just one school and one CCA. There are thousands of schools and activities in Singapore and while you were hating on yours, others are enjoying the time of their lives. The world doesn't revolve around you. If you hate your CCA (or school) for this, you're quite naive. Do not pull something down just because it happened to you, there are others out there who have tons of happy stories to share about their CCAS.

Accept the fact that some seniors would always try bring you down. I was in Dance Club and honestly, the coach was slightly biased to seniors comparing to us juniors. No I didn't hate my CCA, I embraced it further. It was experiences like this that made me open my eyes and wake up realizing that this is the actual world. There would be people above you doing things you dislike but it is you to decide if you really want to be put down by it.

RACISM, do not ever put your blame on someone else just because that person isn't doing something you would do. Do not be RACIST just because that person is different. Not everyone is the same as you, not everyone would be as smart. But why weren't you smart enough not to be racist and leave your CCA when you were downright unhappy? 



PART 4: AN AVENUE THAT FOSTERS CREATIVE THINKING

I only have one question to ask.  Is "cocksucker@gmail.com" CREATIVE to you? Seriously.




CONCLUSION:

Yes I have much higher EQ than you but you have way higher IQ than me. That is our difference, and that is your difference with others who are hating on you currently. If you do not get why I'm responding to you, this is why:

  • Everyone is different, do not put hate on something you cannot change.
  • Just because you are smarter than most of us, do not bring others down and think that you are 100% right. (including posting a YouTube video and then smiling to the camera when pressed charges)
  • The world doesn't revolve around you. 4 years of your life in school doesn't determine how much your school sucked. There might be others in your school enjoying their time there.
  • There is freedom of speech, just know when and how to speak out.
  • I appreciate your honesty in sharing your story about your life in school, but I hope you open your eyes and understand that this is only your point of view.


With whatever you have said in your recent YouTube video, I do not have much say. However, please think of  your parents and how your Dad has to apologize on behalf of you. 

LASTLY, to the rest who are hating on Amos Yee: Yes I dislike him due to his actions and behavior. But do not go on scolding vulgarities or making fun of his looks. Jokes are jokes (I joke about him too), but know when to stop or when it's not funny anymore.


On a side note, 
Rest In Peace Lee Kuan Yew.

No comments: